Genes and Society in the news:
- “Science of the people: Researchers challenge Trump outside US conference.” The Guardian. Feb 19, 2017. Commentary on the science rally in Boston.
- Precious Little is a play at Central Square Theater about genetic testing/counseling, language, evolution). March 2-26, Buy tickets online.
- “The privacy delusions of genetic testing” Forbes Feb 15, 2017. HIPA permits selling personal data if it’s been made anonymous.
- “High Risk Breast Cancer Patients Not Getting Genetically Tested, Study Finds”. Breast Cancer News Feb 15 2017.
- “What Can you Do with the World’s Largest Genetic Tree,” Atlantic. Feb 17, 2017.
Article for Discussion:
- Yudell, M., Roberts, D., Desalle, R., & Tishkoff, S. (2016). Taking race out of human genetics. Science, 351(6273), 564-565. doi:10.1126/science.aac4951
- Sounds familiar because these are ideas we’ve talked about before.
- Brian’s research is relevant—the way sickle cell is taught as a black disease and CF as a white disease is how race is being taught.
- Question about how productive changes at the level of journals would have on shaping public framing (Collins suggested using “biogeographic ancestry” in 2004 and Rosenberg never used “race” although coverage of his work did.
- No mention of need for categorization in drug studies for the purpose of being inclusive/mandating a diverse human sampling.