Genes and Society in the News:
- Reconstructing Prehistoric African Population Structure. Skoglund et al. Cell. 2017 Sep 21;171(1):59-71.e21. doi: 10.1016/j.cell.2017.08.049. (David Reich, senior author). First humans were found in southern Africa going back 8100 years. Different migrations.
- The Heritability of Autism Spectrum Disorder. Sandin S, Lichtenstein P, Kuja-Halkola R, Hultman C, Larsson H, Reichenberg JAMA. 2017 Sep 26;318(12):1182-1184. doi: 10.1001/jama.2017.12141.:28973605. AND Time Magazine report (Both genetics and environment play a role)
- Professors Claim Boys are Better than Girls at Physics (Because boys play with their pee). dailycaller.com Sep 16, 2017
Article for discussion:
- M.J. Dougherty: Closing the Gap: Inverting the Genetics Curriculum to Ensure an Informed Public. AM. J. Human Genetics. 85:6-12 (2014).
- Overall, there are many good points in the article. The history of GXE should be brought up on the attitude towards the role of the environment.
- The group differed in whether one should start genetics by introducing Mendelian genetics, and later get into complexity, or go right to complexity, start with DNA or start with evolution.
- At the end,there was interest in considering whether we should pursue our own thoughts on the implications of all this for genetics education and taking into account Brian’s work. How much influence does an article like Dougherty’s have as it is published in the ASHG journal directed to scientists?