Genes and Society in the News:
- Helix.com offers a test to determine the amount of Neanderthal DNA in the subject.
- Ashley Southall. October 19, 2017. New York Times.Using DNA to Sketch What Victims Look Like; Some Call It Science Fiction
- What’s Your DNA Ancestry Based On Your Photo?
- Oct 25 MIT Review. Article on CRISPR 2.0. The idea is that new technology can allow more precise targeting of a change in a single base rather than starting with a double strand cut. Also discusses the possibility of editing RNA.
- Original advertisement seeking volunteers for the Human Genome Project
Article for Discussion:
- Crawford et al. Oct 12 2017. Science. Loci associated with skin pigmentation identified in African populations
- Carl Zimmer. Oct 12 2017. New York Times. Genes for Skin Color Rebut Dated Notions of Race, Researchers Say
- The paper is detailed and difficult but clearly shows that the inheritance skin color is complicated and involves multiple alleles and several pathways.
- This clearly shows the futility of dividing people by color in any attempt to explain observed phenotypic differences.
- What else does it show? Does it tell a clear story? We did not come to strong conclusions.
- However, see article by Carl Zimmer in NYTimes that argues that this article should undermine basic tenants on which racism is based.