Genes and Society in the News:
- J. Graham Ruby, … Catherine Ball. Estimates of the Heritability of Human Longevity Are Substantially Inflated due to Assortative Mating. GENETICS November 1, 2018 vol. 210 no. 3 1109-1124; https://doi.org/10.1534/genetics.118.301613
- Fall 2018. Genevieve Rajewski. Tufts Magazine. Interview with Sheldon Krimsky. Taking a Closer Look at DNA Ancestry Kits..
- We looked over the AncestryDNA Informed Consent document.
- Nov 3. Debra Bruno. Washington Post. Was I part British, part Dutch, a little bit Jewish? The oddness of DNA tests.
- April 25, 2018. Ian Holmes. Atlantic. What Happens When Geneticists Talk Sloppily about Race.
GWAS and Polygenic Scores Discussion:
- There are questions around statistics. It seems that larger and larger GWAS studies are needed.
- There are questions as to how regression coefficients are used.
- Do you analyze each SNP separately? Suggestion is that regression correlations are done for each SNP to a trait of interest. Polygenic score is additive effects of SNPS.
- Brian discussed nested populations and PCA as ways by which allele frequency differences due to ancestry can be controlled for.